Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Shopping is usually fun.

Not when it is for insurance.

I signed up for some free quotes for health insurance and the first call I got was from a company that is a middle man and will swindle you out of $100 extra $ for their "services." This guys name was "Roy Studley" no kidding!! He tried to get me to sign up for a plan over the phone. I am NOT that stupid (disclaimer: I am stupid on certain days and at certain times) Luckily it wasn't one of those times. When I got the call it was from an 800 number and I was like oh, its a telemarketer but I answered anyway. The guy told me that there would be a possibility that wouldn't be able to find insurance (because of medications) for around $100, never mind the fact that I had been looking and there are places that I CAN get insurance for around that price. I told him that figure to see what he would come up with. I also said something about having a letter stating that I can't be denied insurance and he bit into me about that and how I would get charged triple the price if I even MENTIONED that I had a letter like that.

There was an "application fee" of $100 and the guy was so fast talking that he tried to get my ccard number and I wouldn't give it to him. I told him that I needed to think about it and talk with my parents to see what their advice would be. He said oh, are they paying for it? I said they might be helping me but they won't be covering it all. He said (and quite rudely I might add) "Well Miss Cake your parents aren't going to be paying for it, so it is up to you to decide if you are going to have insurance, it is YOUR choice." (at the end he raised his voice and it ticked me off even more) If you don't already know I'm the type of person who WILL NOT be forced into something that I don't want or have to do. The harder someone pushes the harder I reject. I said I'm sorry I will call you back when I have decided. I'm not calling back and if they call me I am going to ask them to put me on their do not call list, and also ask to talk to a supervisor and let them know HOW I was treated."

I went from sure I might be insurable to scared that all my experiences were going to be like that.

At about 1:45 I got another call from a NICE insurance guy. . .an actual INSURANCE representative not an inbetweenie-weenie. Because he was kinder and calling from an 801 area code I let him know that I was looking for options and that I would ultimately decide. He explained how insurance works and what might happen and why. He also said don't be scared that you won't be able to get ANY insurance because you can get limited insurance. He also EXPLAINED to me how it worked. He was very nice and gave me options and then said cup cake talk to your parents, tell them what I told you and if you have any questions at all CALL me. I'll even talk to your parents and re-explain it to them. (So much nicer and kinder and such.) Let me know what you find out. He even said I will meet with you because no one should buy insurance over the phone and he added that it wasn't like a cell phone plan where I couldn't decide that I didn't want it and have to pay for it any way. Much nicer, more positive experience.

2 comments:

steph k said...

His name is Roy... that should have been your first tip...

Cupcake said...

Yeah, well they just called back this morning. . .I told them that I don't want to be contacted and that I was treated rather rudely yesterday. The guy apologized and hung up. I even lied and said that I had insurance. I don't care especially if it means that I DON'T get a phone call from them every day